Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Self Portrait

This is a grey scale self portrait study.I wanted to show the colorless side of me and challenge myself, moving away from the usual colorful pieces. This is on a 16x20 inches canvas in acrylic.
It was inspired by Whitfield Lovell. He did many of his art works on wood. This inspired me to do something similar, so I covered up my canvas with wallpaper that simulated the texture of wood and I drew my portrait over it with oil pastel. The wood pattern behind the portrait creates a visual effect.This is a self portrait on a 16x20 inch canvas drawn in Oil Pastel.
In this piece I emphasized details such as the Hijab to show my identity as a Muslim female. This self portrait was made out of paper cut by an exacto knife and glued onto a 14x18 inch canvas.



It illustrates my love for nature and bright colors and represents the beauty of culture and nature. This painting was inspired by Frida Kahlo. She created a lot of symbolic self portraits and had a lot of colorful floral designs on it.“Butterfly” was painted on a 16x20 inch canvas.




I focused on the concept of a “doppelganger”. I choose a picture of Beyonce where she was holding a phone and crying. This is a rare side I don’t show to anyone even when I am sad which is a side of me my friends have never seen.

This illustrates me wearing a “Hanbok” which is a traditional Korean outfit. I wanted to represent my fascination with Asian culture and tradition.This was painted on a 16x20 canvas with acrylic paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment